What Can You Do If You Havent Received Your W2 ?
- Employers are required to mail out the W2s for their employees by Jan 31st.
- It is likely that some people will not get the W2 in time due to various reasons - lost in mail, company closed down etc.
- Here are a few tips you can use if you did not receive your W2 after the second week in February.
- First call the employer and ask them to send you a replacement W2. If the employer does not respond, or if the employer has shut down you can contact the IRS.
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. The IRS will contact the employer on your behalf and request the missing form.
- IRS will also send you a Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute for Form W-2 or Form 1099-R.
- You can also estimate your W2 based on paychecks and you can report this as 'income not reported on a W2'.
- You can use online tax preparation and filing services like Turbo Tax Tax Cut, Taxbrain , Complete Tax. These services guide you through an interview process to produce your tax return.